So the following list should clarify the mapping between these two versioning schemes:
- WLS 10g3 (10.3.0) : recent version but used by latest WebLogic Portal 10g3
- WLS 11g R1 (10.3.1) : current version
- WLS 11g R1 PS1 (10.3.2) : upcoming patchset version planned for Nov/Dec 2009
- WLS 11g R1 PS2 (10.3.3) : another patchset anticipated March / April 2010
- WLS 11g R2 : Planned for 2010. I haven't found any relation to a 10.x version at this moment.
Oracle OpenWorld 2009 Updates: WebLogic Server 11g R2 in 2010 will get Oracle RAC and Coherence integrated to make them native in the application server. WebLogic Server will get RAC event awareness, providing fast connection and fail over, while Coherence will be managed as part of WebLogic - currently it's an external application.
- WLS 12g : Planned for 2011. I assume this will be the Java EE 6 compliant release along with the release of all other Fusion Middleware 12g products.